(GURUKUL EDUCATIONAL INSTITUTIONS)
Tilak Road, Ghatkopar (E), Mumbai – 400 077.
Tel. : 2510 62 39
“ Destiny of a Nation is shaped in its classroom” - M.K.Gandhi (Father of Nation)
As it is aptly said that the nation prospers with the prosperity of every individual which is achieved as the culmination of the efforts of various factors, of which the prime one is Education.
Education is one such virtue which is manifestation of the latent potentialities of an individual. It indeed is very important task to tap the resources properly and channelise it in appropriate manner for which an institution needs to spearhead with proper goals & ambitions.
Mumbai Pradesh Arya Vidya Sabha is such institution which spearheaded 98 years ago albeit after a lot of relocation & re-establishment it has taken a shape of colossal Education Institution with a sacred name-“Gurukul Educational Institutions” running under its tutelage near about 16 schools teaching more than 8000 students.
The institution was established 98 years ago at Deolali conceptualized by Shri Manubhai Vaidya an educationist & administrator par excellence and supported by magnanimons founder members Shri.Ratilal B Mehta, Shri.Prahlabhai Patel and Shri Vadilal C Gandhi. The Gurukul ship went afloat towards new horizons in the educational arena. It was indeed a historic moment for Mumbai Pradesh Arya Vidya Sabha - “The journey of a thousand leagues begins with a single step.”
The connotation of the word Gurukul is ironically proved as the institution itself has traveled many terras before anchoring itself firmly at Ghatkopar. Let us not forget that the foundation stone for such a magnificent sophomore was laid at Deolali in Maharashtra within the bunglow of Shri Ranchhoddas Lotwala in 1912. The school was then initiated in Sardar Chemburkar’s bunglow in Nasik in 1919 and then shifted to Sheth Hasanali’s bunglow in Santacruz , Mumbai in 1925. In 1928 it was shifted from Santacruz to Versova in Andheri. Since the school was run on rental basis the costs were exorbitant so it was shifted again to Shuklathirth in Baruch Gujarat.
The Gurukul when shifted in 1925 from Sheth Hasanoli’s Bunglow in Santacruz, Mumbai it was divided in two parts one of which provided education through Sanskrit medium & second linked to the Mumbai university. It was also during this time that Bhagoji Baluji Kir offered to help with the construction of the school building on the condition that the institution purchase the land for him. Thus it was shifted from Shuklathirth TO Ghatkopar. In 1983, the Ghatkopar plot for “Gurukul” was donated by Sheth Shri Chatrabhuj Talaguwala & his wife. Bhagoji Bauji Kir donated Rs.35,000/- towards the construction of edifice which formed the basis of the current building at Ghatkaopa. In 1941 the foundation stone of the Gurukul Ashram was the then laid by home minister Shri Kanhaiyalal Munshi. A blue print of 42 rooms with a gymnasium hall was prepared. The foundation of 12 rooms also laid by Shri Veer Savarkar.
The Gurukul Ashram went on to become the integral part of the educational institutions of Mumbai Pradesh Arya Vidya Sabha.Gurukul Educational institution runs 16 schools of which about 12 offer education in English medium, 3 in Gujarati medium while 1 offers subjects & courses in both Gujarati & English.
Shri Vadilal Chatrabhuj Gurukul High School, a Gujarati medium school is the oldest of the Gurukul Educational institution. Today the Gurukul group also runs the Gurukul Jr. College of Commerce, Gurukul Degree College of Commerce & Gurukul Vocational College (ITC and MCVC).
In the yeoman’s service it also caters to the children with special needs with Smt. Rukshmaniben Amrutlal Sheth Shartul Gurukul centre for special children. Here the education is imparted in multilingual manner i.e. in which ever language the children understand the best.
When the school began first in Ghatkopar (Rajawadi) it covered an area of about 2,769 sq.feet which went on to grow over the years. Today, the school is housed in three buildings standing tall on an area of about 7500 sq. feet in Ghatkopar (E) the pulse location & prime area of the suburb. It has also spread its wings at Ghatkopar (W) in form of Kum. Damyanti Dwarkadas Vakharia Gurukul Shishu Sadan, Shri Pradipkumar Vadilal Gurukul Gujrati Prathmik Shala & Smt. Rukshmaniben Amrutlal Sheth Shartul Gurukul Centre for special children. The faculty members ranging to 204 and non-teaching staff of 63 employees work for the noble cause of education. The school also nurtures stalwarts in polity such as Shri Jayantibhai Parekh & Mr. Prakash Mehta both members of legislative assembly from Ghatkopar & renowned writers such as Shri Chandulal Selarka whose story went on to become a runaway success as a television serial on the Gujarati channel for two years. Shri Pravin Solanki well known writer who has written more than 180 Drama is also a record. Gurukul has also given eminent Doctors, Engineers, Lawyers, Chartered Accountants, Businessmen and Industrialist. Thousand of our students are also successfully settled down abroad.
The huge sophomone has 16 institutions under its shade.
- Kum. Damyanti Dwarkadas Vakharia Gurukul Shishu Sadan.
- Shri Pradipkumar Vadilal Gurukul Gujarati Prathmik Shala
- Shri Vadilal Chatrabhuj Gurukul High School
- Shri Vikramsinh Shoorji Gurukul Technical High School render
- Electronic technology
- Wielding Auto
- Computers courses
These ensure the swift job availability for the students no sooner they step out of their academic arena.
- Gurukul Junior College of minimum competency vocational courses (MCVC). The College caters to the employment of students as they impart knowledge on :
- Maintenance & repairs of Electrical appliance
- Repair, Maintenance & rewinding of Electrical motors
- Mechanical technology.
- Shri Gautamkumar Vadilal Gandhi Gurukul Industrial Training Centre imparts training for two years in cources like of
- Building Maintenance
- Ghatkopar Jaycees Gurukul Nursery School.
- Smt. Rambhaben Bhaganwanji Selarka Gurukul Eng. Med. K.G.School, gives first interaction to the tiny tots as they step forward into the sphere of outside world.
- Smt. Labhkunvarben Dalichand Doshi Gurukul Eng.Med. Primary School with main objective of providing high quality education with modern techniques upgraded to facilitate the teaching & learning.
- Shri Dalichand Jechand Doshi Gurukul Eng.Med.High School with a vision of the missionaries committed to the cause of leading the society from the darkness to light from ignorance to enlightenment. Inspired by the ancient Gurukul system and guided by Mahatma Gandhi’s concept of basic education. The school strives for harmonious development of body, mind and soul. Yoga, Sports and other co-curricular activities incorporated in the in the yearly syllabus ensures “Imparting quality education with absolutely no compromise”. Thus very soon after is establishment the name Shri D J Doshi became a household name in Ghatkopar.
- Gurukul Junior College of Commerce, the year 1975 saw a upgrading of the school to incorporate higher learning as it started the Junior College of Commerce with one division which has steadily grown to the strength of 1000 students with one division in each of XI & XII standard. Attend to by highly qualified and efficient staff.
- Gurukul College of Commerce, the degree college with commerce stream was started 3 years back with ever increasing started 6 years back with ever increasing strength and consequently the divisions. BCAF – special course of bachelor of commerce accounts finance, Insurance & Banking catering special education to students with job oriented goals.
- Smt. Vidyaben Jagmohandas Boda Rishikul Gurukul Vidyalaya Nursary Section.
- Smt. Maniben Ladhabhai Patel Rushikul Gurukul Vidyalaya – K.G.Section.
- Smt. Bhanumatiben Vadilal Gandhi Rudhikul Gurukul Vidyalaya Primary Section.
As it is aptly said “Rushikul doesn’t teach different education… It teaches education in a different way.”
16. Rushikul Gurukul Vidyalaya(Madhyamik Vibhag)
Thus with the above institution we get a kaleidoscopic knowledge spreading each one with maximum radiance.